TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, August 10, 2007

Iris DeMent

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Have you heard of Iris DeMent?

I just ordered two (02) of her albums from her web site.

I love listening to her sing!

She is pure old fashioned mountain music, like the stuff I remember from my boyhood in North Carolina.

Just like me, she writes all her own songs, all about her childhood, her large family, and her small rural home town in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas.

Listening to her sing, I wish my father was still alive, because I know he'd love hearing this.

I first heard her perform on Garrison Keillor's A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION radio program, and I saw her in the motion picture, SONGCATCHER.

If you listen closely to how she pronounces her words, you can detect the strong influence of a distant Scottish heritage (or am I merely imagining that?).

At her web site, if you click on "JUKEBOX", you can listen to five (05) of her songs, in their entirety.

There's actually six (06) songs on the JUKEBOX, but the first song, OUR TOWN, the song that made her famous, is messed up.

No matter, you'll like the others, and it doesn't cost you a cent to listen.

The two (02) albums I ordered are INFAMOUS ANGEL and MY LIFE.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: