TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Old Time Radio Plays

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

As I type this, I'm struggling to find the right words to adequately convey my feelings.

I've been relaxing at my computer, playing games of Spider Solitaire, while listening to old time radio plays, broadcast free of charge, over the Internet.

I reckon my favorite radio play is THE SIX SHOOTER, starring Jimmy Stewart.

He was really a gifted actor, even if only speaking over a microphone, without ever actually being viewed.

Did you know his show was eventually cancelled because he refused to allow commercial advertising for cigarettes?

Listening to the plays evokes nostalgic memories of my father, who died a few years ago, for it was during his era that these programs originated, and it is his values that are epitomized in the scripts.

Listening to old time radio plays is probably better than watching television, because I can play a game while I listen.

But, some of the plays arouse feelings of sadness.

Why?

Because I'm watching our society rapidly destroy itself.

By coincidence (?), in the BOOK OF MORMON, we read the account of a prophet of God residing in ancient America, who hides in a cave, and goes forth by night, witnessing the awful destruction of his people.

If you listen to the material in the plays, you can see the stark contrast between the values of a bygone era and the utterly perverse degeneration we currently so passively accept.

I'm not certain if I expressed that quite properly, for I'm really sort of guessing my way through this.

But, you listen to the various plays.

Then observe the most recent news reports and the commentary by popular pundits.

See for yourself whether you notice a difference, and whether that difference is positive or negative.

So many things have happened within my brief mortal sojourn.

I'm pleasantly astounded at all the technological advances and scientific developments, while at the same time, depressed by evidence of severe moral decay.

Anyway, them there's my thoughts on the matter.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: