TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Worthy Global Charity

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

I saw this advertised on television, and just now visited the web site to see for myself.

You have the opportunity to help improve our world by purchasing and donating a laptop computer at the ONE LAPTOP PER CHILD web site.

The stated goal is to ultimately supply one laptop computer to each child in every country.

Each laptop, equipped with the Linux operating system, is designed specifically for use in Third World underdeveloped nations with limited resources.

The rugged computers, designed for children, use solar power, and include an integrated web camera, with microphone, speakers, and built-in game controllers.

Nifty, huh?

The cost of donating is four hundred dollars ($400.00) per laptop.

I'm not sure I can afford that, at least, not right now.

I think that's about half of what I paid for my own notebook computer.

They do offer a special deal where you can donate a computer and also receive a computer for your own child (or, as in my case, a favorite nephew?).

Another benefit being offered to those who donate is (I think) free Internet service from T-Mobile.

Anyway, I just wanted to alert you to this, so you can decide if it's something you might like to be involved in.

It seems like an awfully good idea to me.

If you so desire, you may share this message with others.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: