TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Movie Critique: NEW YORK DOLL

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Last night (? - - - well, actually, during the "wee hours"), I watched a movie, NEW YORK DOLL, I had recorded from the Showtime Channel on cable television.

The movie is a documentary, eighty minutes long, of the life of a Rock 'n' Roll star, Arthur "Killer" Kane, bass guitarist for the New York Dolls, who becomes a convert in the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints (i.e., the "Mormon" church).

As a young, rich, and famous rock star, he lived a life of debauchery, eventually resulting in divorce, attempted suicide, and total destitution.

Thirty years later, while working in the Family History Library of the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, he was invited to go to England for a reunion concert with surviving members of the band (half of them were dead).

There's more to the story, but I don't want to ruin the show for you.

In the film, I was fascinated to see reminisces by Chrissie Hynde, lead singer for The Pretenders, and I recognized Buster Poindexter, who used to regularly perform on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE.

Frankly, I was unfamiliar with the New York Dolls, and never knew that Buster Poindexter was a made up personality, and actually was the lead singer for the New York Dolls.

They also interviewed musicians from the band, Blondie, but I didn't see Deborah Harry.

Iggy Pop also was interviewed, and made several comments throughout the documentary.

This is a film that will have appeal to folks who generally could be considered from opposite ends of the spectrum, i.e., musicians and Mormons.

I don't remember seeing anything objectionable during the movie.

After all, it is a documentary, a compilation of actual interviews with real people.

So, if you wish, your entire family can safely view this film, although I always recommend that when children watch any movie, BOTH Mama and Daddy should watch it with them.

Please pass the popcorn.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: