TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Patriotic Suggestion

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Earlier today, when I attended the graveside service of Staff Sergeant George F. Richer, United States Air Force (Retired), I observed the Air Force chaplain present the folded colors to the son of Sergeant Richer, and say the usual speech, expressing gratitude from the nation on behalf of the President of the United States, et cetera.

It reminded me of another chaplain at another military graveside service, and the contrast between the two.

Years ago, as a member of the Disabled American Veterans, I served on several burial details in the Salt Lake City, Utah area.

I remember our Disabled American Veterans chaplain, Bob Crossly, and his speech when presenting the folded colors to the next of kin.

He passed on several years ago.

I had such great respect for him.

Anyway, when he presented the colors, he gave the same speech as the Air Force chaplain, and all other chaplains, with one exception.

He included an exhortation that the recipient not put the flag away on some shelf, but that they proudly fly it on patriotic occasions.

I loved that!

I wish every chaplain would do that at every military graveside ritual.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: