TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, March 19, 2009

National Tartan Day

Mo Cinneadh agus Mo Cairdean:

Saor Alba gu brath!

I just now checked at the Saint Andrew's Society web site, and there definitely WILL be a National Tartan Day observance this year.

It will be in Market Square, at 301 King Street, in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, on Saturday 04 April 2009, from 1300 Hours until 1700 Hours.

I reckon I'll be seeing you all there!

Look for my white pickup truck, with the Saltire flying above the cab, and the "CLAN HENDERSON" magnetic signs on the doors.

I'll probably park it down by the river, for the truck is too big to fit inside the Market Square parking lot.

I wonder if it'll be as bitterly cold and windy as the last time we did it?

That was a couple or three years ago, and it was the first time I'd ever worn my kilt.

Amid all those gusts, we (Mike Henderson, Leon Hicks, and myself) had to really struggle to keep the Clan Henderson tent from being completely toppled over and torn to pieces.

I never could play my guitar, because it was too cold, and cold temperatures make the strings go out of tune.

But, still, I think we all had a really great time.

I remember that one fellow who gave us some fresh home baked shortbread.

Mmmmm, boy!

Well, we'll see what happens this year.

I'll be there in traditional full Highland military regalia, and take my guitar, just in case.

It might be warm and sunny.

Now that Saint Patrick's Day is over and done with, and I had such a good time singing all those Irish songs, I reckon I'd better get busy and practice my Scottish songs, huh?

After all, right after we celebrate National Tartan Day, we'll be looking forward to the annual Celtic Festival of Southern Maryland on Saturday 25 April 2009, from 1000 Hours until 1800 Hours at Jefferson Patterson State Park, near the town of Prince Frederick, in Calvert County.

Slainte mhath!

Is Mise Le Meas,

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: