TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, June 10, 2011

LEARNING SCOTTISH GAELIC

Mo Cinneadh agus Mo Chairdean:

Ciamar a tha sibh?

A while back, I saw a couple of videos on the Internet about Scots-Irish heritage in America, which I copied and shared on my video channel.

The videos, "BORN FIGHTING: THE SCOTS-IRISH", were the intellectual property of Scottish Television, or STV.

As a result, I reckon I must be on their e-mail list, for they just sent me a survey to fill out.

After answering their survey questions ("No, I never watch STV"), I saw on their web site this really GREAT new resource for teaching yourself Scottish Gaelic!


I downloaded the free program to my hard drive and tried it out.

It works!

An amusing aspect is that the advertisement for this course calls it learning to speak "SCOTTISH"(?), which as any Scot knows, is a completely separate language from Gaelic.

Never the less, it IS indeed a course in speaking Scottish Gaelic, the language of the Highlands and Islands.

Not only that, the course is very simple and easy to work with, so I highly recommend it.

Also, when I downloaded this course, I unchecked the boxes to receive e-mails, because I don't want to be bothered with advertisements.

While this basic language course is free, they do have a more advanced course that they'll try to get you to pay money for.

As an additional resource, you might peruse the material posted at the  "SIOL NAN GAIDHEAL" web site, where you'll learn the very recently revived ancient phrases advocating Scotland's independence.

Do you know how to say "CAT" in Gaelic?

You say "CAT", just like you do in English!

What about, "BANANA"?

A "banana" is the same, in both English and Gaelic!

Interesting, huh?

Tapadh leibh agus slainte mhath!

Is Mise Le Meas,
Offical Bard of Clan Henderson
Gulfport, Mississippi  39507

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions do not represent my Scottish clan."

No comments: