TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

SUBMISSION FOR PUBLICATION IN "AN CANACH"

********* WARNING ! ! ! *********

This dangerously illegal and immoral subversive underground resistance message is being surreptitiously monitored by the Beaming Internet Government Broadband Radio Oscillation Telecommunications Hearing Electronic Reconnaissance (i.e., B.I.G. B.R.O.T.H.E.R.) as part of a coordinated official clandestine domestic surveillance investigation, in cooperation with the National Administration of Zealous Interrogation (i.e., N.A.Z.I.) and the Commission On Message Monitoring Investigative Electronics (i.e., C.O.M.M.I.E.).

Serious felony criminal charges are pending, with extreme penalties yet to be determined!

****************************

"AR CANAIN AGUS AR CEOL"
(OUR LANGUAGE AND OUR MUSIC)

I've found a new resource for studying our Gaelic language which is FREE, and it's also very easy.

Here is the web site URL where you can download it - - - ,

At that web site, select "SCOTTISH".

Yes, that's incorrect, for most of us know that "Scottish" and "Gaelic" are two different languages, with no relationship to each other.

But, that's how this firm markets the Gaelic language course, as "Scottish"!

Naturally, they're in the business of making money, so they'll want you to purchase their more advanced course.

But, you can still go ahead and download the free basic course to your computer's hard drive, which is what I did.

Incorrectly using the words, "Scottish" and "Gaelic" interchangably makes me think of all the folks who go around improperly displaying Scotland's "Rampant Lion" flag when only the "Saltire" should be flown.

As many of you are already aware, the "Rampant Lion" banner (i.e., the red lion on the yellow background) is ONLY supposed to be shown when a member of Scotland's royal family, or their designated representative, is personally present.

Otherwise, the only proper flag to be displayed is the "Saltire" (i.e., the white cross of Saint Andrew on the sky blue background).

It's what I've been flying from the window of my pickup truck.

By the way, do you have any idea how difficult it is to purchase a Saltire for your car window?

Very few flag companies sell them.

I bought mine from a web site in Scotland, and since then, I've found ONE (01) flag company in the United States that sells the Scottish car window flag.

Now, for a bit more about our language - - - ,

As some of you may remember from my previous reports in "AN CANACH", my favorite Gaelic language course, bar none, was the "SPEAKING OUR LANGUAGE" course, which a buddy in Idaho gave to me on a CD.

Unfortunately, when I got my new computer, that software was too outdated to run on it, so I'd pretty much given up on ever again learning from that resource.

Well, I have now learned that the ENTIRE course of "SPEAKING OUR LANGUAGE" is available on
DVD and CD ROM.

Here are the web site URLs where the various components of this course are for sale - - - ,

https://lsh507.securepod.com/gaelicbooks.org/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=795

It's available for purchase on the Internet from Scotland, and British pounds are worth a whole lot more than American dollars, so - - - ,

I'm guessing this entire course, with all the extra bells and whistles added on, is going to cost an estimated grand total of $175.91, maybe even more by the time this article is published.

How do you like them there apples, huh?

But, I reckon if you're willing to spend the money, it would be well worth it, for I haven't seen an easier or more effective method of learning the Gaelic language, except of course, those vacation packages where you go to Scotland and actually live in the home of a Highland family.

Now, as for our music - - - ,

Having only recently moved to Mississippi, I was curious about what Scottish and Celtic music programs are being aired locally.

This place IS different.

In North Carolina, where I grew up, all of the locations have Scottish names.

But, here on the southernmost tip of Mississippi, right on the Gulf of Mexico, the names of the locations are either French or American Indian, and the people and culture are predominantly Cajun and Creole.

In searching the Internet, I did find a local radio station that broadcasts my old favorite, "THE THISTLE AND SHAMROCK", each Sunday night.

Next, I looked for a web site where I could listen to the broadcast, and I found a bunch of them.

Not only that, but many of the broadcasts are archived, so you can listen to them later on.

Here is the web site of "THE THISTLE AND SHAMROCK" radio program - - - ,

Actually, if you search the Internet, you'll find many web sites where you can listen to, and/or purchase Celtic and Scottish music.

I have purchased MANY albums from the GREEN LINNET web site, and can highly recommend them.

For those who are interested, there's an EXCELLENT video presentation from Scottish Television about the Scots-Irish in America, "BORN FIGHTING", which you can see at this web site, but ONLY if you have the free VEOH media player downloaded and installed on your computer - - - ,

I posted the video on my own web site, but Scottish Television, which owns the rights to it, has blocked anyone outside of the British Isles from watching it at my web site.

However, for some odd reason, you can still watch it free at the VEOH web site, and of course, you can purchase the DVD from the AMAZON web site.

It's an excellent program!

I well remember as a boy growing up in North Carolina how folks would say their ancestors were "Scotch-Irish", and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Thirty

No comments: