TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Sunday, August 11, 2013

"SHIELD OF THE FREE WORLD"

************************************
************************************ 
Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space: 

The ARMISTICE AGREEMENT FOR THE RESTORATION OF THE SOUTH KOREAN STATE concluding hostilities at Panmunjeom, Korea, and establishing the Demilitarized Zone (i.e., the "DMZ") along the Thirty-Eighth Parallel, was signed on Monday 27 July 1953.
_________________________

NOTE: For a larger view, please click on each of the photographs in this message.
_________________________



Please note that, to this very day, a state of war continues to exist between the forces of the United Nations, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, and the People's Republic of China, for all the Armistice actually did was formally declare a temporary cease fire.

For the best effect, please be sure and enjoy watching this episode of, "THE BIG PICTURE", television series in "FULL SCREEN" mode.



The video recording of "SHIELD OF THE FREE WORLD", an episode of the United States Army official weekly television broadcast, "THE BIG PICTURE", was posted at the YOU TUBE web site on Sunday 06 January 2013 by AIRBOYD.
___________________________ 

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER 

Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act of 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. 

Non-profit, educational, or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.
___________________________


Both my father and I served in the Republic of Korea with the Eighth United States Army, exactly twenty (20) years apart.


(From left to right) Master Sergeant William Vincent Mallernee (Owensboro, Kentucky), Sergeant First Class N. Huck (Indianapolis, Indiana), Master Sergeant R. Gorman (Pittsburg, California), Master Sergeant J. Colligan (Brooklyn, New York), Sergeant First Class C. Lyshek (Rosemead, California), Private First Class T. Skinner (Baltimore, Maryland), and Corporal A. Seasvance (Jersey City, New Jersey) show the tots of the Sung Kwang Orphanage at Inchon, Korea the items of clothing donated to them by the personnel of Headquarters Compamy, 21st Transportation Motor Pool, and the crew of the MS JUMPER HITCH (C1-M-AV1), Inchon, Korea. Photographed by Sergeant S. M. Machon, 304th Signal Operations Battalion
My father, Master Sergeant William Vincent Mallernee, United States Army, being decorated with the Army Commendation Medal at Ashiya Air Force Base, Kyushu, Japan.
Army Commendation Medal
During my own tour with the Eighth United States Army in the Republic of Korea, I was with the 307th Signal Battalion in Won Ju, and the 142d Military Police Company in Yong San.

For a larger view, please click on the MAP.
While I was serving in the Republic of Korea, I had the pleasure of taking a United Services Organization (i.e., the "USO") guided tour of the DMZ. 

I get a real kick out of being able to tell folks that, just like in the Hollywood motion picture production and on the long running popular television series, "M*A*S*H", I received surgery on my left ear at "the 121st Evac in Seoul". 

Also, I was present, and shook hands with him, when Spencer Woolley Kimball organized the Seoul Stake, the FIRST stake of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints (i.e., the "Mormon" church) in the Republic of Korea.

Armed Forces
Expeditionary Medal
Korea Defense 
Service Medal
_________________________

For the best effect, please be sure and enjoy watching my homemade amateur video recording in "FULL SCREEN" mode.

Written by a fourteen (14) year old boy, the lyrics refer to a lonely, depressed dentist serving with the United States Army in the Republic of Korea, whose nickname is, "Suicide", and who specializes in pain free dentistry.




"SUICIDE IS PAINLESS"
(The Theme From "M*A*S*H")

Lyrics by: MIKE ALTMAN
Music by: JOHNNY MANDEL

VERSE # 01:
Through early morning
Fog, I see
Visions of the
Things to be.
The pains that are
Withheld from me,
I realize and
I can see,

CHORUS:
Suicide is painless.
It brings on
Many changes,
And I can take
Or leave it
If I please.

VERSE # 02:
I try to find a
Way to make
All our little
Joys relate
Without that
Ever-present hate.
But, now, I know
That it's too late.

VERSE # 03:
The game of life
Is hard to play.
I'm gonna lose
It anyway.
The losing card,
I'll someday lay.
So, this is all
I have to say,

VERSE # 04:
The only way
To win is cheat
And lay it down
Before I'm beat,
And to another,
Give my seat,
For that's the
Only painless feat.

VERSE # 05:
The sword of time
Will pierce our skins.
It doesn't hurt
When it begins.
But, as it works
Its way on in,
The pain grows stronger,
Watch it grin.

VERSE # 06:
A brave man once
Requested me
To answer questions
That are key.
"Is it to be, or not to be?"
And I replied,
"Oh, why ask me?"
_________________________

Nifty, huh?

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee
Armed Forces Retirement Home 
1800 Beach Drive, Unit 311 
Gulfport, Mississippi  39507

************************************
************************************

No comments: