TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Winter 2006 AR ORAN AGUS AR CEOL

AR ORAN AGUS AR CEOL

(OUR SONG AND OUR MUSIC)

By: John Robert Mallernee, Clan Bard

I was watching a movie on television, "MY LIFE SO FAR", which is about a boy growing up in Scotland prior to the Second World War.

During the movie, his mother and an aunt perform a duet of "RED RED ROSE", composed by Robert Burns in 1794.

What immediately caught my ear was the melody was more or less identical to the ORIGINAL melody for "AULD LANG SYNE".

The traditional music for "AULD LANG SYNE" that we hear today has become far more popular than the tune originally intended by Robert Burns.

**********

RED RED ROSE

Composed By:

Robert Burns, Beloved Bard of Scotland

My love is like a red red rose

That's newly sprung in June.

My love is like the melody

That's sweetly played in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonny lass,

So deep in love, am I; And I will love thee still, my dear,

Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt wi' the sun;

And I will love thee still, my dear,

While the sands o' life still run.

And fare thee weel, my only love!

And fare thee weel a while!

And I will come again, my love,

Tho' 'twere ten thousand mile!

**********

You can read more about the movie, "MY LIFE SO FAR", and purchase the video over the Internet, using your home computer.

Just type "MY LIFE SO FAR" into the window of your browser's search engine, and you should find it easily.

Also, for devotees of Robert Burns (and who isn't?), there is an excellent web site featuring anything and everything about Robert Burns, including everything he ever wrote, plus a nice selection of gifts.

The URL is:

http://robertburns.org/

So, go ye forth and have some fun!

Slainte mhath, y'all!



John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

" - - - the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, and we in dreams behold the Hebrides."

No comments: