TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Flowers of the Forest




















Greetings:

I was shocked and saddened to receive this latest e-mail from Holly Trueblood, Lane's wife.

********************
" I am so very sorry to tell you that Lane passed away this morning.

He underwent what was expected to be simply bypass surgery yesterday, but complications developed and his heart was never able to take over on its own again.

Please feel free to keep in touch, I certainly want to maintain contact with you.

Details will be in the Chicago Tribune and on their website.

His wife, Holly "
 ********************
For the benefit of those who receive this e-mail who are unfamiliar with Scottish culture, we refer to our deceased as "flowers of the forest", hence the title in the subject line of this e-mail.

As stated in my previous e-mail, in which I solicited prayers in Lane's behalf prior to his surgery, Lane Trueblood was very active in Clan Henderson and Scottish events.

He customarily wore his Clan Henderson kilt to the annual Robert Burns dinner, and his daughters journeyed to Scotland to participate in Highland dancing competition.

Lane Trueblood was extremely helpful to me, and without his assistance, I would not have learned of my Scottish heritage, nor would I have learned as much about my own biological Trueblood family.

Lane also made special efforts to research and honor our forebears, father and son, who served on BOTH sides during the War Between the States.

The father was in the Confederate Army, and his son served in the Union Army.

Lane made certain both of their graves were properly maintained, and sent me photographs.

I once was fortunate enough to meet with Lane and Holly while changing trains in Chicago, and Lane has generously supplied me with plenty of photographs with which I can fondly remember him.

You may wish to share this message with others related to the Trueblood family or who are involved in Clan Henderson and the Scottish community.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

"My personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: