TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Monday, May 29, 2006

Hit Your "PANIC!!!" Button - - - Oops - - - Too Late!

Brethren and Cistern:

Those of you who know me are aware of how I enjoy toying with words, so I don't need to explain to you why I used the greeting, "Brethren and Cistern".

But, one time, I actually got an outraged response from someone anonymous (I suspect a close relative) who thought I was being serious.

Congratulations to Bishop Ross Davidson of the Washington, D.C. Fourth Ward who the missionaries tell me is going to Mexico in a couple of months, to preside over a mission there.

Yesterday, I had a very pleasant visit with FOUR (04) full-time LDS missionaries who came over and sang to ME!!!

First, they administered the sacrament, and then they requested I sing them some songs, including a couple of which I had composed.

They especially wanted to hear the Irish-American ballad, "KILKELLY", which I enjoy using as an example of why we are admonished to be diligent in researching our genealogy.

The lyrics to "KILKELLY" only got written because an American was cleaning his basement and accidentally discovered a series of old letters in a trunk.

They also wanted to hear two (02) songs from the Broadway production, "MAN OF LA MANCHA".

So, I sang "MAN OF LA MANCHA" and "THE QUEST" (which most folks incorrectly call, "THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM").

They also wanted to hear, "THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS".

I performed two (02) original songs that I had composed, the hymn, "COME ONE AND ALL", and the song, "RIDE THE LAUGHING WIND", written about the mysterious Anasazi people (i.e., "the ancient ones") who preceeded the current American Indian tribes now living in the "Outlaw Trail" area of Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado.

Because of my depression (which comes and goes, and varies in severity), I haven't been practicing, so I didn't perform as well as I wished I could have.

We had a very enjoyable conversation about the Da Vinci code and the Knights Templar, and the opportunities that topic can present for missionary work.

Then, they sang for me, "LET THE LOWER LIGHTS BE BURNING", with an excellent job of harmonizing.

Now, I come to the REAL purpose of this missive - - - , and I fear it is NOT good news.

For some time now, there have been drastic reductions in funding, staff, programs, and benefits here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home.

It's my perception that the few staff remaining are demoralized and overwhelmed by the sheer volume of residents who are admitted to this Home in a completely helpless state, with ongoing violation of all rules regarding health and safety.

I, and others, have tried in vain to warn of what we knew would happen.

This has resulted in some real horror stories of bedridden patients lying in their own filth, ignored by staff who don't speak English, plus serious injuries and at least one fatality from residents using wheelchairs in buildings not designed for wheelchairs.

But something else occurs to me - - - which has motivated me to write to you.

The Armed Forces Retirement Home in Washington, D.C. is only ONE federal agency, and the administration here is acting under the personal direction of Donald Rumsfeld, the Secretary of Defense.

So, if this is happening in ONE federal agency, due to an extreme dearth of fiscal resources, how many other federal agencies are simultaneously experiencing similar financial emergencies, along with their accompanying repercussions?

By the way, and this is a side issue, part of the problem is due to the innumerable illegal immigrants making health care so expensive and unavailable.

So, do you have your TWO (02) years supply of food, water, fuel, medical supplies, with radio, weapons and ammunition?

It may well be that we are seeing the beginning of the end, that the symptoms of an approaching total collapse of our economy, with a nonfunctional government are staring us right in the face.

We may already be out of time.

Along with your emergency survival storage, remember to stock the necessary agricultural items for starting up a new crop and a new economy.

Expensive, huh?

Can't do it, huh?

Neither can I.

But, we have to do the best we can with what we have.

We've been warned over and over again.

I remember one of our prophets, two or three prophets ago (was it Hugh Brown?) saying at that time that if you didn't have your food storage, "it may already be too late."

So, think about these things and do what you can do.

Let's hope I'm wrong about my suspicions.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

"My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: