TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

GUESS What I Just Heard?

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

As I was sitting here fooling around with my computer, I was listening to XM Radio Channel 106, the "XM CLASSICAL XMAS" channel on
AOL Radio.

Suddenly, I heard the song, "SUO GAN", also known as, "WELSH LULLABY".

That's a song I sing!!!


It's the theme song for the Hollywood motion picture production, "EMPIRE OF THE SUN", one of the finest war films ever made, and I might add, a tear jerker, especially at the conclusion, which is enhanced by the music.

I was surprised to hear the Trinity Chapel Choir singing different words than those I sing.

But, when I searched the Internet, I found there are indeed differing versions of the song.

I got mine several years ago from the library at
Ricks College (since renamed Brigham Young University - Idaho) in Rexburg, Idaho.

Boy, do I miss Idaho!

I loved every moment I lived there.

Here is the version of "
SUO GAN" which I learned, and which I sing:



******************
"SUO GAN"
(WELSH LULLABY)


VERSE # 1:

Hush, my dear one.
Sleep serenely.
Now, my lovely,
Slumber deep.
Mother rocks you,
Humming lowly.
Close your eyes now.
Go to sleep.
Angels hover
Ever near you,
Looking on your
Smiling face.
I will hold you,
Close enfold you.
Close your eyes now.
Go to sleep.

VERSE # 2:

Lovely darling,
I will guard you,
Keep you from all
Woe and harm.
Softly, gently,
I will rock you,
Resting sweetly
On my arm.
May you slumber
E'er so softly.
Dream of visions
Wondrous fair.
I will hold you,
Close enfold you.
Close your eyes.

Baby, go to sleep.

******************
All these years that I've been singing that song, I had no clue it was a traditional Christmas song, for I'd never heard it sung at Christmas time.

But, one of the versions of "
SUO GAN" that I saw during my Internet search was at a Christmas web site.

Maybe this would be a good song for me to sing at next year's tree lighting ceremony here at the Old Soldiers' Home.

Man, I'm having so much fun!

Neat, huh?

Thank you.


John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: