TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, August 31, 2007

Just Learned A New Song For My Repertoire

Brothers and Sisters:

Well, I've snapped out of my depression long enough to learn another song.

It's been so long since I've picked up my guitar, that the callouses are gone from my fingertips, so now, it hurts to play.

But, that'll go away rapidly, as I develop new callouses.

I just hope I can continue to maintain an interest in life, and summon up the energy to keep on practicing my music.

Anyway, I've become quite enamored of Iris DeMent, and as I type this e-mail, I'm listening to her singing on my computer.

I recently used the Internet to purchase two (02) of her albums, INFAMOUS ANGEL and MY LIFE.

One of my favorite songs sung by Iris DeMent is TROUBLESOME WATERS, a Gospel song composed by Maybelle Carter, E. J. Carter, and Dixie Deen.

Here are the lyrics:

**********************
**********************

TROUBLESOME WATERS

Composed by:
Maybelle Carter, E. J. Carter, and Dixie Deen


VERSE # 1:

Troublesome waters,
Much blacker than night,
Are hiding from view
The harbour's bright light.
Tossed on the turmoil
Of life's troubled sea,
I cried to my Saviour,
"Have mercy on me!"


CHORUS:

Then gently, I'm feeling
The touch of His hand
Guiding my boat
In safely to land,
Leading the way
To Heaven's bright shore,
Where troublesome waters,
I'm fearing no more.


VERSE # 2:

Troublesome waters
Around me do roll.
They're rocking my boat
And wrecking my soul.
Loved ones are drifting
And living in sin.
The treacherous whirlpools
Are pulling them in.


VERSE # 3:

When troublesome waters
Are rolling so high,
I lift up my voice
To Heaven and cry,
"Lord, I am trusting.
Give guidance to me,
And steady my boat
On life's troubled sea."

**********************
**********************

Ain't that some kind of a beautiful song?

You should hear the music.

I've memorized it and can play it on my guitar, but I can't do it nowhere as well as Iris DeMent.

Anyone familiar with the mountains and traditional Country music will recognize the name of one of that song's composers, "Mother" Maybelle Carter.

I wrote a "snail mail" letter to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir requesting that they consider inviting Iris DeMent to be a guest performer on a future broadcast of MUSIC AND THE SPOKEN WORD.

I don't know if they'll even get the letter, or if they'll bother to read it.

Anyway, I just enjoy this unique music so much, that I wanted to share it with you.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: