TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, October 26, 2007

We're Getting Another Medal?

Comrades in Arms:

Today, I received my latest issue of THE SCREAMING EAGLE, the official magazine of the 101st Airborne Division Association.

My interest was piqued by the article, MEDALS, written by Tony Mabb, on Page 53.

Apparently, we (most of us old guys) are about to be awarded another medal.

The House of Representatives has approved legislation authorizing award of the COLD WAR VICTORY MEDAL.

Now, it has to be voted on and passed by the United States Senate, and then signed by the President of the United States.

According to the Cold War Veterans Association, a bunch of prominently recognized veterans organizations are supporting this effort.

Did you ever get your CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION for your military service during the Cold War?

I got mine quite a few years ago.

My certificate was signed by the Secretary of Defense, possibly because President Clinton was so unpopular, that veterans would have been too embarrassed to accept anything with his signature.

If you haven't already done so, then please contact the United States Army to request your CERTIFICATE OF RECOGNITION, regardless of which branch of service you were in.

For several years, there has been a COLD WAR VICTORY COMMEMORATIVE MEDAL available for purchase by veterans, but it has never been authorized for wear by the Department of Defense.

Furthermore, if you think about it, it's a waste of money.

After all, since the authorized medal has yet to be approved, we have no idea what the design will look like, do we?

Will the Department of Defense adopt the fake medal that's already on the market?

On the down side, this could get expensive.

When I bought my tartan kilt and plaid, I also purchased full-sized medals and miniature medals, mounted and ready to wear with my Highlander attire.

Buying those medals and having them mounted was expensive.

So, if this new COLD WAR VICTORY MEDAL becomes officially authorized, I'll have to order a whole new set of medals, in order to get them properly mounted for formal wear.

Oh, well, it'll probably cost me a goodly chunk out of a month's pay, but, I reckon I can handle it.

At least, I was in the United States Army, and not the United States Marine Corps.

Marines have to have their medals anodized, which is even more expensive.

Anyway, Comrades, brace yourselves, and look sharp.

If all goes well, you're about to become decorated heroes all over again!

Hmmm - - - , I wonder if the ladies will be duly impressed?

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: