TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Monday, March 03, 2008

A Good Day


Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:
Today was one of those rare occasions when I ate chow from the regular menu in our mess hall here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home.
Usually, I either get my meals from the short order line (i.e., burgers, dogs, fries, et cetera), or I elect to fix meals in my own room, from goodies I purchase in our PX.
That's because there's always an extremely long line, thanks to the folks with wheelchairs and walkers (who aren't even supposed to be allowed in that line!), which moves too slowly, and people always get too close to me.
But, today, I was lucky enough to catch the chow line at just the right moment.
So, I enjoyed a delicious repast of beef enchiladas, Spanish rice, refried beans, mixed vegetables, corn bread, two slices of pecan pie, and three glasses of Coca-Cola, with ice.
After chow, I went to our bowling alley, where I can bowl free.
Using the Internet, I had bought brand new bowling shoes, and this was my first time using them.
I only bowled one complete game, and then returned to my room.
I'm unusually tired, and my back hurts.
I try not to take my medicine, for it really wallops me.
But, often, the symptoms become so severe and intense, I can no longer stand it, and have to dope up with my prescribed pills.
Later, I think I'll go drive my pickup truck around the grounds and sort through my camping gear that I keep stored in it.
Due to the rapidly escalating cost of gasoline and the limitations of my monthly disability pension, I hardly ever go anywhere, so I need to drive my truck once in a while.
Another project for later today, is to strum my guitar and practice my singing.
I especially need to start practicing for Saint Patrick's Day.
I recently bought a chromatic tuner, a hard carrying case, and a guitar stand.
My next project, as soon as I have enough money saved up, is to buy a second classical guitar, to be used as a backup during my performances, in case a string should break.
I also want to purchase a piano keyboard.
I used to have one, but I gave it away, because I want to buy myself a better one.
Being a typical native American, my ancestors came from many nations, Ireland being just one of them.
Here's our Saint Patrick's Day menu for the Noon meal at the Armed Forces Retirement Home:
Mulligatawny Irish Soup
Irish Corn Beef
Simmered Cabbage
Simmered Carrots
Boiled Potatoes
Lime Green Jell-O
Irish Chocolate Cake
Caramel Apple Cake
This is probably the first time, that I know of, where the Soldiers' Home's mess hall has scheduled a special meal just for Saint Patrick's Day.
In addition to the regular menu, there is always a salad bar, two kinds of soup, assorted flavors of ice cream, several varieties of carbonated soft drinks, four or five kinds of milk, several flavors of fruit drinks, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
There is another line serving a different menu for folks who prefer to diet.
There is a short order line for those who prefer burgers, dogs, and fries.
The Soldiers' Home is furnishing transportation to attend the Saint Patrick's Day Parade, which is scheduled for Sunday 16 March 2008 in downtown Washington, D.C.
In my opinion, that is a wicked offense against God, for it is a sacrilege to do something like that on the Sabbath.
On Saint Patrick's Day, our theatre is showing some sort of Chinese martial arts movie.
The Recreation Department here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home never pays attention to the calendar when scheduling movies in our theatre, despite my own repeated suggestions.
Years ago, we used to always go to Arlington National Cemetery for Saint Patrick's Day.
The bagpipers from the Fairfax, Virginia Fire Department, attired in Irish kilts, would perform.
There would be dignitaries from Ireland and the Catholic Church to speak.
Then, with the pipers playing, we would march across the grass, among the trees and tombstones, to the grave of George Washington Parke Custis, where shamrocks would be planted.
What an appropriate patriotic Saint Patrick's Day tradition!
The Soldiers' Home no longer goes to Arlington National Cemetery on Saint Patrick's Day.
I don't know why they've stopped doing that.
I e-mailed an inquiry to Arlington National Cemetery, but never received a reply.
Similarly, the administration here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home only infrequently responds to suggestions or complaints made by residents.
I no longer go on organized Soldiers' Home bus trips, because the last time I went on one, I got abandoned, in cold weather, in a strange town.
Here in my room, I have a DVD of the Walt Disney movie, DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, so I'll probably watch that on my television.
I'll certainly pick up my guitar and sing every Irish song I know.
Let's see, there's, "Pretty Irish Girl" (from the above movie - - - and I know all three verses), "Killkelly", "Skibbereen", "Bells of Saint Mary's" (all four verses - - - very hard to find), "Grace", "My Own Dear Native Land", "Keg of Brandy", "Wearing of the Green", "Danny Boy", "Only Time", "Green Grow The Rushes", and "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling".
I'll celebrate with some cold cans of O'DOUL'S alcohol free beer, and maybe cook me a can of corned beef hash.
Since I don't have any plans to go anywhere, I don't know whether I'll don my Highland kilt, or not.
Maybe I'll wear it to go eat chow in our mess hall.
By the way, YES, you certainly MAY join me in the mess hall for the Saint Patrick's Day feast!
I am permitted to have guests.
Your meal will cost you $6.00 (six dollars and zero cents).
If you wish to rent one of our guest rooms here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home, then that will cost you around $25.00 (twenty-five dollars and zero cents) or $35.00 (thirty-five dollars and zero cents) per day.
That's a whole lot cheaper than staying in any hotel in or around the Washington, D.C. megalopolitan area.
If you want to come visit, it might be wise to telephone 1-800-422-9988 or 1-202-722-3000, to make a reservation.
If you e-mail me, I'll give you my telephone numbers, so you can contact me directly.
Do you know why the harp is the OFFICIAL symbol of Ireland?
The shamrock is Ireland's unofficial symbol.
The Celtic harp is reputed to actually be King David's harp, brought to Ireland by the prophet, Jeremiah, who is said to be buried at Tara, the traditional burial site for Irish royalty.
According to one Bible dictionary I read, our modern day guitar (which I play!) is actually a descendant of that early Hebrew harp.
Ain't that nifty?
Thank you.
NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: