TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Movie Critiques

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

While I enjoy watching movies on my twenty-seven inch LCD wide screen high definition television, it's not often that I see a movie I can safely recommend to my brothers and sisters in the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints.

Yesterday, I watched a couple of good movies which I can recommend for families with children.

The first one was THE SANDLOT, which was partly filmed in Salt Lake City (I instantly recognized Rose Park).

The story, which takes place in 1962, is a great movie about kids playing baseball, and it evoked nostalgic memories of my own boyhood in North Carolina.

Even the family car was the same as the one my father drove, a light blue 1959 Chevrolet four door Biscayne.

It was the same color, the same year, and the same model.

Unlike the kid in the movie, I don't remember a time when I could NOT throw or catch a baseball.

I thought that sort of thing just came naturally.

A boy learns how to throw and catch by observing and playing with other boys.

The next movie I watched was BARNYARD.

The plot actually reminds me of the novel, ANIMAL FARM, by George Orwell.

When the farmer's away, the barnyard animals play, walk on their hind legs, and speak English.

It also reminded me of the skit on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, where American Negroes only lived down to their negative stereotype when White people were present.

Just as soon as White people left the area, the Black folks would revert to speaking perfect English, listening to classical symphony music, and discoursing on highly intellectual subjects.

One of the unusual aspects of the movie, BARNYARD, is the cows are males!

Ain't that something?

Anyway, I recommend these two movies for your family, as I consider both of them safe for children to watch.

Also, I've been watching the Home Box Office seven part television series, JOHN ADAMS, and it's not only been refreshingly enjoyable, but also educational.

Yes, this is also a show that is safe for contemporary family viewing, and when it becomes available, you may want to purchase the DVD(s).

As always, I urge that BOTH mother and father watch films with their children, so questions can be answered, and appropriate commentary can be inserted.

Please pass the popcorn.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: