TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, February 26, 2009

ATTENTION: Army Veterans

Comrades in Arms:

Today, I received my new Combat Service Identification Badge (i.e., the "CSIB") for my service in Viet Nam with the 101st Airborne Division "Screaming Eagles".

I ordered mine from the Uniform Accessories Unlimited web site, and with postage, it cost a total of $20.95 (i.e., twenty dollars and ninety-five cents).

As you may already be aware, the reason for purchasing this new uniform item is because the United States Army is currently phasing out the Army green service uniform, and has adopted the Army dress blue uniform to be the new official Army service uniform.

Unit insignia which is sewn onto the shoulder of the Army green uniform will not be worn on the Army dress blue uniform.

That has been replaced by the new metal CSIB, which is worn pinned to the center of the right breast pocket on the Army dress blue uniform.

Since the CSIB is a relatively new item, they're still manufacturing them, so, not every combat unit currently has a CSIB available, although, eventually, every unit will be represented.

Another change is that the green felt Combat Team Leader tabs will not be worn on the epaulets of the Army dress blue uniform.

The beret, service cap, or cavalry stetson (for cavalry troopers) can be worn, and paratroopers, rangers, Special Forces personnel, and Air Assault troops may wear their trousers tucked into their jump boots.

Also, this new CSIB will look really good when properly displayed, along with your medals, on the civilian suit or the Highlander jacket.

That's the reason I bought it, for when I attend patriotic functions, or when I have occasion to wear my kilt, I do dress up and wear my medals.

A while back, I paid a tidy sum to order my medals mounted for wear, and it's been worth every penny.

If you've ever gone through the hassle of arranging your medals, and tediously pinning them on your suit coat, one by one, struggling over and over to get it exactly right, - - - well, you know what an agonizingly painful chore that is!

So, if you can afford it, spending the extra money to have those medals professionally mounted sure saves a whole lot of trouble, and it looks really great.

My medals were mounted for wear by Medals of America.

I wear my medals when I march with my clan in the annual Scottish Christmas Walk, and I wore them when I marched down Constitution Avenue with my fellow veterans of the First Signal Brigade at the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the Viet Nam Memorial in Washington, D.C.

Other appropriate occasions for wearing your medals on your civilian suit would be Constitution Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, Bill of Rights Day, Saint Patrick's Day, National Tartan Day, Patriot Day, Memorial Day, the Army's Birthday, Independence Day, when attending any military funeral, or at any other military or patriotic function.

This is especially important for Viet Nam veterans, because of the public vilification, insults, denigration, and mockery so many of us were subjected to by our fellow Americans during that controversial war.

It's also important to wear them because our Country is currently at war, and the children need to see us wearing them, to instill an awareness of their own heritage.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: