TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Astronomy Meeting

University of Maryland Observatory

University of Maryland Telescope

Rachel Osten

John Mallernee

George Brunner and Elizabeth Warner

George Brunner

Elizabeth Warner

*****************************************

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

On Saturday 11 April 2009, I attended the regular meeting of the National Capital Astronomers at the University of Maryland Observatory lecture hall.

The lecture was THE USES OF STELLAR FLARES, presented by Rachel Osten.

To see a larger view, click on each of the photographs.
Hmmm - - - ?

I know about parachute flares, and star cluster flares, and highway flares, and railroad flares.

The first thing I learned was how terribly ignorant I am, as I observed the room full of highly educated mathematical and astrophysical geniuses.

It was a large audience, and I think just about everyone in the room was a renowned scientist, and I'm willing to bet most of them would have qualified to be members of Mensa.

Still, it was a good lecture, for as unlearned as I am, I was still able to grasp some of what was being presented.

Over time, if I continue to attend these lectures, maybe I'll gain some bits of their advanced knowledge by osmosis.

Just at this lecture, I learned some new terms I didn't know before.

All I have to do is keep my mouth shut and listen, huh?

Unfortunately, as part of her lecture, Rachel Osten gave away the plot of a movie I haven't yet seen, KNOWING, starring Nicholas Gage.

Mox nix.

I still want to see that movie.

Three (03) of us were members of the Washington Area Astronomy Meetup group, and you can see us in the photographs included with this message.

Elizabeth Warner, who is in charge of the University of Maryland Observatory, is the gal wearing a blue jacket and blue sweater.

The guy is George Brunner, a student at George Washington University, in Paul Butterworth's "ASTRONOMY 1" class.

Rachel Osten is the gal wearing a green blouse.

After the lecture, Elizabeth Warner treated George Brunner and me to a tour of the University of Maryland Observatory, and photographs of those telescopes are included with this message.

Unfortunately, due to today's inclement weather, we were unable to do any observing with the telescopes.

When attending events at the University of Maryland Observatory, it's best to arrive early, as parking space is very limited.

Apparently, there are quite a few opportunities to participate in astronomy activities in this area, and I'm definitely looking forward to learning to use my telescope and attending local star parties.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: