TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Sunday, July 21, 2013

"GRACE"

**************************************
**************************************
Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space: 

For the best effect, please be sure and enjoy watching, in "FULL SCREEN" mode, my homemade amateur video recording of ME (!) performing, by ear, the patriotic Irish rebel ballad, "GRACE", while accompanying myself by strumming simple chords on my Yamaha G-130A classical guitar.



"GRACE"

Lyrics and Melody Composed By:
SEAN O'MEARA and FRANK O'MEARA
(1985)

VERSE # 1:
As we gather in the chapel
Here in old Kilmainham Jail,
I think about these past few days.
Oh, will they say we've failed?
From our school days,
They have told us
We must yearn for liberty.
Yet, all I want in this dark place
Is to have you here with me.

CHORUS:
Oh, Grace, just hold me in your arms
And let this moment linger.
They take me out at dawn
And I will die.
With all my love,
I place this wedding ring upon your finger.
There won't be time to share our love,
For we must say goodbye.

VERSE # 2:
Now, I know it's hard for you, my love,
To ever understand
The love I bear for these brave men,
My love for this dear land.
But when Padhraic called me to his side
Down in the GPO,
I had to leave my own sick bed,
To him, I had to go.

VERSE # 3:
Now as the dawn is breaking,
My heart is breaking too.
On this May morn, as I walk out,
My thoughts will be of you.
And I'll write some words upon the wall,
So everyone will know I love so much,
That I could see His blood upon the rose.
_________________________


If ever you have the good fortune to go to Dublin, Ireland, be sure and visit Kilmainham Jail and do the tour.

You'll learn the story of this lovely song.

Joseph Mary Plunkett was arrested for taking part in the 1916 Easter Rising in Dublin.

On Wednesday 03 May 1916, in the evening, he was allowed to marry Grace Gifford in the prison chapel.


The couple were then separated.

The next morning, she was summoned to say goodbye to her husband of a few hours.

They spoke for about ten (10) minutes and then Joseph was executed by firing squad.

The line that says "I had to leave my own sick bed" refers to the fact that Joseph was suffering from tuberculosis at the time.

The last verse mentions "the blood upon the rose", which was the title of a poem by Joseph, which was taught in Irish schools.

The blood upon the rose is a reference to the blood of Jesus Christ.

Thank you.

Armed Forces Retirement Home 
1800 Beach Drive, Unit 311
Gulfport, Mississippi  39507


**************************************
**************************************

No comments: