TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, April 21, 2011

JAPANESE TSUNAMI VIDEOS

********************************
********************************
For the best effect, please be sure to watch these videos and slide show in "FULL SCREEN" mode.

This is an automated video series and a slide show of the tsunami which devastated Japan on Friday 11 March 2011.







As a small boy, I lived in Japan at Ashiya Air Force Base, located near Fukuoka on the island of Kyushu, where I went through the Second Grade at the base school.

Daddy and me

Our house in Ashiya

Second Grade Class at Ashiya Air Force Base
(Click on the picture and see if you can figure out which of these kids is ME!)
Many years later, while serving in the Republic of Viet Nam with the United States Army, I went to Japan for my annual Rest and Recuperation leave (i.e., "R&R"), where I visited EXPO '70 in Osaka, rode the "Bullet Train", and visited Kamakura, Enoshima, Tokyo, and Yokohama.

I highly recommend watching the classic Hollywood motion picture productions of "FLIGHT FROM ASHIYA" and "SAYONARA", as they are two of my favorites.



********************************
********************************

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Do you have the names of your classmates? I wonder if one is my brother-in-law. He was born in 1950, so depending on when this was taken, he might have been in your class.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS, in Vernal, Utah said...

Kerrin:

I was born in 1946, and I'm guessing I was in the Second Grade at Ashiya Air Force Base on the island of Kyushu in Japan around 1953, so I doubt your brother-in-law would have been old enough to be one of my classmates, even if I could remember anyone's name from that long ago, which I can't.

Maybe he was in Nursery School with my youngest sister, or maybe in Kindergarten with my other sister?

But, how would they remember?

There are, and were, a lot of American military installations, manned by hundreds of thousands of personnel, throughout all of the Japanese islands.

Thank you for your comment.