TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, May 18, 2013

SUNDRY SUBJECTS OF SOLDIERS, SIMIANS, AND STEEDS

********************************************
********************************************
Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Oh, by the way, before I get started on anything else, I just want to remind everybody that TODAY, Saturday 18 May 2013, is ARMED FORCES DAY.

Boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!

You should SEE what just arrived in my "snail" mail!

I received two (02) movies that I ordered from the Disney Movie Club, "BEDKNOBS AND BROOMSTICKS", and - - - ,

Get ready for this - - - , 

WALT DISNEY TREASURES: "THE ADVENTURES OF SPIN AND MARTY" ! ! !

In the tin box containing the two (02) "SPIN AND MARTY" DVDs, was a certificate stating that this was Number 105,992 of 125,000, in this limited edition.

Now, you younger folks will have no idea what any of this means.

It's only us older folks who remember watching "THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB" on our black and white television sets.

When I and my two (02) sisters were in the hospital at Fort Bragg, North Carolina recovering from our tonsillectomies, Daddy brought us some gifts.

I don't know what he gave my sisters, but he gave me two (02) books, "TARZAN AND THE LOST SAFARI", and, "SPIN AND MARTY".


I fondly remember reading those books over and over and over.

Do any of you remember the "SPIN AND MARTY" series?

Last night, I watched most of the "PLANET OF THE APES" series, which I purchased the complete set of on DVD.

Long before I saw the movie, "PLANET OF THE APES", I remember having read the story in a men's adventure magazine when I was a teenager.

You younger folks won't know about this, but once upon a time, there were magazines for men.

No, I'm not talking about the sex magazines, "PLAYBOY", or, "PENTHOUSE".

I'm referring to magazines such as, "TRUE", "ARGOSY", and "TRUE DETECTIVE", which had actual STORIES of danger and adventure, such as - - - "PLANET OF THE APES"!

Or was it, "MONKEY PLANET", that I remember reading?

I don't think those magazines exist anymore. 

The first time I saw the movie, "PLANET OF THE APES", was in the base theatre at Spangdahlem Air Force Base in Germany, where I was a Private First Class in the United States Army, assigned to Company "A", 11th Air Defense Signal Battalion, 32d Army Air Defense Command, as a Field Radio Relay and Carrier Equipment Repairman (MOS 31 L 20).

Since I was in the Army, and not the Air Force, someone had to explain to me why the audience howled with laughter when the gorilla announced he was "Security Police".

Many years later, when I was at Fort Hood, Texas, I went to a drive-in movie theatre in Killeen, Texas, where in celebration of Independence Day, they were showing ALL of the "PLANET OF THE APES" movies, back to back, all night long.

Yes, I think I did nod off during part of the shows.

Anyway, now I have it all on DVD, so I can watch all of those movies whenever I please.

What is your opinion of the "PLANET OF THE APES" movies?

Although the story is very entertaining, I'm guessing that whoever wrote it doesn't know very much about the muscular strength of simians.

Also, I think apes, like all animals, can't articulate words because of the placement of their larynx and their epiglottis.

No, I haven't seen the remake of "PLANET OF THE APES", nor do I want to.

In my experience, the remake is NEVER as good as the original.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee 
1800 Beach Drive, Unit 311
 Gulfport, Mississippi  39507

********************************************
********************************************

No comments: