TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Monday, March 27, 2006

Today's Date: "Remember Goliad!"

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Before the sun sets today (as I type this, it's already late afternoon), I just want everyone to remember the historical significance of this date, 27 March.

On this day, in 1836, the defenders at Goliad, under command of Colonel Fannin, as prisoners of war, were executed by order of Generalissimo Santa Ana.

This action, known as the Goliad Massacre, followed the fall of the Alamo, and so enraged the Texicans, that as they charged the Mexican Army at San Jacinto, they were heard to yell, "Remember the Alamo!" AND "Remember Goliad!"

Due to the massive demonstrations yesterday in support of illegal immigration, of which Mexico is the greatest offender, today's date carries special weight.

When I was a soldier stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, I had the privilege of touring both the Alamo and Goliad.

That is truly hallowed ground, made sacred by selfless courage and valorous blood.

I just wanted to remind everyone.

"Remember Goliad!"

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

"My personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: