TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, March 06, 2008

"REMEMBER THE ALAMO ! ! !"

******************************
******************************


Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Do you know what TODAY (Thursday 06 March 2008) is?

On this date in Eighteen Thirty-Six, the Alamo fell.

Many years ago, when I was a soldier in the United States Army, stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, I had the privilege of touring the Alamo, and on another occasion, touring Goliad.

One of the Alamo's defenders was John MacGregor, a Scottish bagpiper.

One of the stories that is told about the Alamo is that the defenders, the majority of whom were Americans of Scottish or Irish heritage, kept up their spirits by singing, GREEN GROW THE RUSHES, a ballad composed by Robert Burns.



Hearing this, the Mexicans coined the epithet, "Gringo", to describe all Americans.

Of course, that may just be an urban legend, as I've also read elsewhere that "Gringo" is a Spanish word with no particular meaning.

So, draw your own conclusions.

But, the Alamo has a place in my heart, maybe because of the John Wayne movie, THE ALAMO, which is one of my favorites.

THE BALLAD OF THE ALAMO (THIRTEEN DAYS OF GLORY) is one of the songs I sing.

Whenever I sing it, I also add the verses sung by the University of Texas Student Chorus at the end of the John Wayne movie, and at the appropriate moment, I punctuate the song with a loud Rebel yell!



It especially has significance today, because of all the illegal aliens swarming across the length and breadth of our nation.

Even now, a tiny handful of volunteers, mostly elderly or disabled retirees, are camping out in the desert, assisting the United States Border Patrol and local law enforcement agencies, by observing and reporting the many groups of armed invaders.

Yes, we may very well have a modern day repeat of the historic "Alamo", as these dedicated volunteers find themselves more and more besieged by violent criminal gangs or organized incursions by Mexican soldiers.

I wanted to join those American volunteers, and for that purpose, I purchased a nice four wheel drive pickup truck.

But, the price of gasoline skyrocketed, and I've exhausted my funds, so for the moment, I'm stuck here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home.

Mox nix.

"Remember the Alamo!"

Please, teach this to your young'uns.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

******************************
******************************

No comments: