TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, July 20, 2012

MAJOR SID H. CHASE, UNITED STATES ARMY (RETIRED) 1917 - 2008

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION:

The following e-mail message was written and posted by me on this web site on Monday 17 November 2008.

I've decided to republish it now, because I want to remind everyone that a really GOOD and truly righteous man once lived on this Earth, and that man was a friend of mine (and of nearly everybody else, too!).

With the passage of time, plus innumerable distractions, I had actually forgotten about this post, but was reminded of it when checking the statistics regarding this blog, and found that a new comment, awaiting my approval, was actually spam, apparently posted by an anonymous web surfer in Ukraine, possibly as an experiment seeking a way to hack into this web site, "OUR ETERNAL STRUGGLE".

So, let us all once more celebrate the memory of MAJOR SID H. CHASE, UNITED STATES ARMY (RETIRED), a resident of Saint Anthony, Idaho.

Official City Seal of
Saint Anthony, Idaho
By the manner in which he lived and conducted himself, he set a fine example of genuine Christian compassion, charity, and moral virtue for the rest of us to try and emulate, just as my (now deceased) father, Master Sergeant William Vincent Mallernee, United States Army (Retired) also did.

*******************************************
*******************************************
Monday 17 November 2008

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

I was stunned to just now learn of the recent passing of a dear old friend, Major Sid H. Chase, United States Army (Retired), on Thursday 30 October 2008 in Saint Anthony, Idaho.

Here is his obituary, published at the SOUTH FREMONT NEWS AND VIEWS Internet web site (a web site which no longer exists) by my friend, Will Rhea, in which I took the liberty of some slight editing:
____________________________



Major Sid H. Chase, United States Army (Retired), ninety-one years old, a lifelong resident of Saint Anthony, Idaho, died Thursday 30 October 2008 in Saint Anthony, Idaho. 

Sid was born on Thursday 29 March 1917 at Saint Anthony, Idaho, the son of Herbert Earl and Blanch Edna Rule Chase. 

He grew up in the Saint Anthony area, where he attended his schooling.

He enjoyed music and played several musical instruments.

He married Tedda Burrell on Friday 19 January 1945 at Evanston, Wyoming. 

They made their home in Saint Anthony, Idaho. 

A graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, he made the military a life long profession, serving in the United States Army during the Second World War, the Korean Conflict, and Viet Nam, retiring as a Major in l977. He was a "Life" member of Yellowstone Mountain Post 9425 of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in Saint Anthony, Idaho. 

Following his retirement from the United States Army, he worked as an electrician and was self employed. 

Sid was active in the community serving as a member of the Lions Club and Rotary Club. 

He was an active supporter of the Saint Anthony Free Fishermans Breakfast committee for fifty years, and could usually be found mixing the pancake batter.

He was also an original board member to help save the Roxy Theatre for the community.

The ROXY THEATRE in
Saint Anthony, Idaho

He was a supporter of the Idaho Falls Symphony Orchestra. 

Sid was preceded in death by his wife, Tedda, and only daughter, Lexie, a brother, Jack, and a sister, Winifred Kathern "Peggy".

Funeral services will be conducted at 1100 Hours on Monday 03 November 2008 at the Bidwell Funeral Home in Saint Anthony, Idaho. 

Friends may call at the funeral home one hour prior to the time of services. 

Military rites will be performed by the Saint Anthony Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts.

Condolences to the family can be sent to Bidwell Funeral Home in Saint Anthony, Idaho.
_____________________________


I lived in the Roxy Theatre, in the apartment above the lobby, and performed in several of the shows, either in stage plays (i.e., THE FOREIGNER), community events, or Cowboy Poets of Idaho programs.

Sid Chase did all the maintenance work, and he and I frequently worked together, either backstage, or on the stage.

I often compared him to the character of George Bailey, in the classic Hollywood motion picture production of IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

He was everywhere, doing everything, perpetually concerned about the welfare of his fellow man, and anxiously engaged in doing good works.

On more than one occasion, he came to my rescue, such as the night I accidentally locked myself out of my car out in the middle of nowhere (I had stopped my car to look at the Hale-Bopp Comet), or the time he brought over a bag of groceries when he learned I was hungry and had no money.

He had a cocker spaniel, but I can't remember the dog's name, or whether the dog eventually passed away.

(I just now remembered - - - , the dog's name was "Toozie")

He had rescued that cocker spaniel when it was lost, sick, and starving.

I wonder what's become of his houseful of kitty cats?

That used to worry me, for I knew he couldn't continue to get away with having far too many kitty cats running loose inside of his house, even though he truly adored them, and always took really good care of them.

I remember when his brother, a retired United States Army warrant officer, passed away.

Enroute to the cemetery, which was out in the country, the hearse broke down, and the casket was transferred to the bed of a pickup truck.

Everybody thought that was kind of appropriate, and that Sid's brother would have particularly enjoyed the humor of the moment.

Sid told me of one of his war memories.

In a battle on one of the Pacific islands during the Second World War, a man near him was killed, and Sid Chase got some of the man's brains in his mouth.

From then on, he retained a vivid recollection of that taste, which he said was sweet, and similar to automobile anti-freeze.

We would march together in the annual parade every Veterans Day.

We had a lot of discussions on just about every subject.

I remember him telling me he had been raised as a Christian Scientist, and that since Saint Anthony, Idaho was populated mostly by members of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints, he would sometimes be chased home by local Mormon boys throwing rocks at him, losing his school books in one such incident.

The last time I saw Sid Chase, I briefly visited with him in his home for a few minutes just a few years ago, when a friend and I were passing through Saint Anthony.

He's one of the finest men I've ever known.

I sure will miss him.

Thank you.

Official Bard of Clan Henderson

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."
____________________________

For the best effect, please enjoy watching in "FULL SCREEN" mode this automated video series, consisting of my homemade amateur video recordings of ME(!), strumming simple chords on my guitar, as in my humble attempt to once more honor the memory of Sid Chase, I sing some (but not all) of the original songs I composed while I was residing in Saint Anthony, Idaho.



Thank you.

*********************************************
*********************************************

No comments: