TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, February 27, 2009

Forrest Gumping - - - ?

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

In the movie, THE MEXICAN, Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt are having a lover's spat, and Julia Roberts tells the klutzy Brad Pitt that he's been continually "Forrest Gumping" his way through life.

Have you ever heard that phrase?

It made me start thinking.

I think "Forrest Gumping" is what I've been doing, for whether it's due to pure dumb luck, or the blessings of Almighty God, my life has been a continuous series of uncannily serendipitous events, even in the face of repeated overwhelming catastrophes and impossibly insurmountable odds.

That's why FORREST GUMP is one of my favorite movies, because there's so many parallels between the movie and my own experiences.

I'll never understand why I'm so well off.

Throughout my life, I've constantly encountered problems because my brain doesn't seem to function in the same manner as everybody else.

It seems as though I've always been the proverbial "square peg" vainly trying to fit into the round hole.

How did I make it back from Viet Nam, alive and with all my parts still attached?

With no formal musical education, how did I wind up being able to compose lyrics and melody, play guitar, and sing, all done "by ear"?

Hmmm - - - I remember an old saying, i.e., "God protects drunks, fools, and little children."

When I kneel in prayer and try to thank Heavenly Father for each of my blessings, I'm unable to remember them all, because there's so many.

You try it.

You'll find you can't count all of your blessings, either.

There's just too many blessings to count.

So, is it luck, or the Hand of God, or a combination of both?

Even with this national economic depression, aren't all of us still individually really well off?

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: