TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Monday, March 02, 2009

"Blessing of the Sword"

Clansmen:

Here is a copy of one of my favorite paintings, "THE BLESSING OF THE SWORD", by Mort Kunstler.

Be sure to click on the picture for a slightly larger view.

I'm guessing that painting probably looks a lot better when it's seen full sized, for this image is merely a marketing sample.

Here's the poem which inspired the artist to paint this picture:

**********
**********
THE BRAVE AT HOME

The wife who girds her husband's sword
'Mid little ones who weep or wonder,
And bravely speaks the cheering word,
Even though her heart be rent asunder,
Doomed nightly in her dreams to hear
The bolts of death around him rattle,
Has shed as sacred blood as e'er
Was poured upon the field of battle.


*********
*********
I was wondering if our clan could institute a similar ceremony for members of the Bodyguard, and any others who possess swords?

After all, we already have a similar ceremony for blessing the kilt.

I once read of a newly commissioned officer in the United States Marine Corps whose family arranged for his sword to be formally blessed during a religious ceremony at a church in Virginia.

But, in this painting, you can see it is a private family affair, held in the home.

So, there's no set ritual, bound by hard and fast rules.

Maybe our clan chaplain and/or the head of the clan's Bodyguard could create something?

What are your thoughts regarding this?

It would certainly make us unique among clans!

And, we are indeed unique.

So far as I can ascertain, ours is just about the only clan that has an officially appointed bard, and in parades, we are almost the only clan that carries swords.

Nifty, huh?

I like that.

By the way, I've been studying that United States Marine Corps sword manual, and I think I've now memorized all the proper movements and commands.

Still, I wish there was someone who could inspect me and make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Something else just now occurred to me, although it is a bit off topic.

When an organized festival or gathering interferes with clansmen's inalienable rights to carry their swords unencumbered, such as the Potomac Celtic Festival, it creates a major liability issue, similar to that of schools, hospitals, and businesses which publicly announce that firearms are forbidden.

As we all know from observation of repeated incidents, when the law abiding citizens are without arms, they then become helpless prey for the criminally deranged.

Such policies are irresponsible and inexcusably immoral.

Could those institutions not be sued, if anyone was injured or killed due to unarmed clansmen being unable to stop a violent felon?

Tapadh leibh.

Slainte mhath!

Is Mise Le Meas,

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: