TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy 149th Birthday, SIGNAL CORPS ! ! !

Comrades in Arms:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ! ! !

TODAY, Sunday 21 June 2009, is the One Hundredth and Forty-Ninth Birthday of our United States Army Signal Corps.

On this date, in 1860, Congress authorized the United States Army to appoint a signal officer.

So, grill yourself a nice steak, pop open a cold one, and enjoy some cake and ice cream!

And, for those of you fortunate enough to have young'uns, "HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!"

Kick back, gather 'round your young'uns, and regale them with awe inspiring tall tales of when "we were soldiers, and young."

I don't know about you, but after all these years have passed, I'm utterly amazed that I actually got the privilege of being one of the guys who's "been there, done that."

In a little while, I'll put on my Phu Lam Signal Battalion polo shirt, and wander down to the La Garde Building to visit Ed Stites.

It's been several months since I last visited with him, and from what I've been told, he's really in poor physical shape, and even seems to be a little confused.

But, he served in the Signal Corps for his entire Army career, and he helped construct the compound that housed the Phu Lam Signal Battalion.

If any of you Signal Corps veterans are ever in this area, I'm sure Ed Stites would be delighted to meet you.

"PRO PATRIA VIGILANS"

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

No comments: