TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, September 05, 2009

2009 VIRGINIA SCOTTISH GAMES


Mo Cinneadh Agus Mo Chairdean:

Ciamar a tha sibh?

Is mise gle mhath, tapadh leibh!

Here are some photographs that I took today at the 2009 VIRGINIA SCOTTISH GAMES AND FESTIVAL at Great Meadow Park in The Plains, Virginia.

Click on the pictures for a larger view.

The day was sunny and hot!

As usual, I enjoyed hearing the constant sound of the bagpipes in the background.

Every now and again, we'd hear a great roar of cheering spectators when some athlete would perform exceptionally.

I also observed a children's version of Scottish games, with young'uns tossing a smaller and lighter version of a caber.

I did get the opportunity to strum my guitar and sing for the folks gathered in the Clan Henderson tent.

There were a lot of visitors to the Clan Henderson tent, and many of them were Irish.

As always, I thoroughly enjoyed watching all the families, with their little ones and their pets.



I especially enjoyed seeing the Border Collie sheep herding demonstration.

But, that is an expensive festival!

It cost me five dollars ($5.00) to park my truck, eighteen dollars ($18.00) for my admission, and five dollars ($5.00) for a cup of lemonade!

Also, because the event is so spread out over a vast outdoor park, any visitors had better be in excellent physical health.

Never the less, I really had a good time, but left early so I wouldn't be too exhausted driving home.

As I departed, I stopped long enough to purchase a souvenir T-shirt.

Slainte mhath!

Is Mise Le Meas,

John Robert Mallernee
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."





No comments: