TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Sunday, March 21, 2010

"MY TRIP TO ISRAEL"



Written in 1971 at Camp Eagle, in the Republic of Viet Nam
By: JOHN ROBERT MALLERNEE

Gather 'round, my comrades
And I'll tell of the day
I boarded a plane
And flew far away.

In Viet Nam, I'd spent
Six months and a year
Living like a dog
And surrounded by fear.

So, I bid "Farewell!",
With leave orders in my hand,
As Trans World Airlines
Flew me to the Promised Land.

The Land of Israel,
The Land of the Book!
I could hardly wait
To have my first look!

After many long hours
Above the clouds we'd trod,
Trans World Airlines
Finally landed at Lod.

In Tel Aviv,
I roomed at the "Park"
And ventured forth,
Happy as a lark.

Bethlehem, Masada,
Jerusalem of Gold;
I visted them each,
And other places of old.

I met a young lady
On my guided bus tour.
Entranced by her femineness,
I thought, "Vive L' Amour!"

From Montreal, Canada,
Is where she came.
But, I was too shy
To ask her name.

All through the trip,
I watched her and stared.
She would never know
How much for her I cared.

We would never meet,
As decreed by the Fates,
For the girl went to Greece,
As I flew to the States.

I bought Yemenite jewelry for Mom,
An antique sword for myself.
Pictures of Israel
Are in albums on the shelf.

'Though I'm back in Viet Nam
With my head in a whirl,
I remember Israel,
And I remember that girl.

No comments: