TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Movie Critique: UNCLE BUCK

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

I just got through watching UNCLE BUCK, starring John Candy, on my television, where it was broadcast in high definition on the Comcast Cable Television On Demand Channel.

Have you ever seen that movie?

I thought I'd seen it, but was pleasantly surprised to find out I was wrong.

Macaulay Culkin is in the movie, and has some really GREAT lines.

When Laurie Metcalf appeared, I didn't recognize her until after she began talking.

Her voice has a unique, easily recognizable accent.

Yeah, I reckon I'm just like the character, Uncle Buck, because I'm unmarried, with no children, unemployed, and irresponsible.

But, I hope none of my relatives ever ask me to babysit nieces and nephews in a family emergency!

Unlike the character, Uncle Buck, I ain't smart enough to deal with a teen aged girl.

Boy, oh boy, what a nightmare!

Teenage girls are VICIOUS!

In fact, I reckon just about any kid, no matter what age or sex they were, could easily outsmart me.

I did love seeing those giant pancakes, with the snow shovel serving as a spatula.

Now, THAT'S a breakfast!

That old car was great, for every time it stopped, it would whistle like an incoming artillery shell, culminating in a huge explosive blast from the exhaust pipe.

How do I get my pickup truck to do that?

From watching this movie, we learn we can do our laundry in a microwave oven.

Isn't that a bit of useful information?

I'm not a parent, so I don't know whether or not to recommend this for family viewing, even though it obviously was intended as an amusing family film.

That's because of the occasional foul language and one or two scenes of attempted adolescent sexual activity.

But, as with all movies, if the children watch this, then BOTH Mama and Daddy should watch it with them.

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie, so maybe you will, too.

Please pass the popcorn.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: