TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Monday, April 07, 2008

My Last Day Singing?

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

Is today the last day I'll ever be able to sing?

When I was a boy, I was hit in the mouth by a baseball.

It broke loose my front teeth, but I stuck them back in.

Years later, dentists reattached my teeth with steel posts and super glue (or something similar - - - I think).

Those teeth have stayed in place and worked just beautifully for all these many decades.

Tomorrow, I go to the dentist, and it's possible my front teeth will be removed - - - forever.

The dentist says my teeth are fractured and rotted, and they might not be saved.

Since this is the Soldiers' Home, and not some private dentist, I am not at all certain any sort of dental prosthesis will be authorized or provided.

Due to severe reductions in financing and personnel, the limited medical staff here at the Soldiers' Home is currently overwhelmed by an impossible workload, with woefully inadequate facilities, and little or no proper equipment.

Aggravating this deteriorating situation is the change in Soldiers' Home demographics, which has transformed this former excellent retirement community into nought but a nursing home and hospice (i.e., a poorly administered charnel house).

So, if my front teeth come out, I probably will never be able to sing anymore, for I won't be able to articulate and vocalize the lyrics.

Hmmmm - - - maybe all isn't totally lost.

One of the most famous musicians in history, Ludwig Von Beethoven, was able to continue composing, even though he had gone completely deaf.

Paul Wiggenstein composed piano music for the left hand, after losing his right arm during the First World War.

But, how will I replace my voice?

I reckon there's quite a few folks who would consider it a blessing if I lose my voice!

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: