TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

More Volunteer Work For My Computer!

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

As many of you already know, for the past several years, possibly even longer, I've been using my computers as a volunteer in the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (i.e., S.E.T.I.), which analyzes radio data collected from Deep Space, in an effort to discover signs of intelligent life forms existing elsewhere in the cosmos.

The global volunteer project is coordinated through the University of California at Berkeley, using the Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (i.e., B.O.I.N.C.) program.

For those of you who are too quick to laugh, you should know that an intelligent signal WAS very briefly detected on 15 August 1977 by Dr. Jerry Ehman at Ohio State University's Big Ear Radio Observatory.

The famous "Wow!" signal lasted a little over a minute, but was never detected again.

It's exact origin, meaning, and purpose remain unknown, although it was detected in the constellation, Sagittarius.

Anyway, I am now using my BOINC program to participate in some additional volunteer data analysis projects.

My computer has just now begun processing data in Climate Prediction, which is operated by the University of Oxford.

Also, I'm using my computer to analyze data for the World Community Grid.

They do a multitude of scientific research projects, but the one my computer is presently engaged in is developing a more nutricious rice crop for the World's population.

I like that, because rice is one of my favorite foods.

The other project I'm using my computer for is to research cryptanalysis for Graz University of Technology in Austria.

I picked that project because I love playing with code puzzles, both creating them, and solving them.

If you want to put some of that unused memory in your own computer to good productive service, then become a volunteer in these global scientific research efforts.

There's a whole bunch of projects you can choose from.

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: