TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, July 05, 2008

Volunteer Computer Research Project

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

You can now volunteer to use your computer in helping The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints (i.e., the "Mormon" church) organize genealogical records.

I learned of this from a posting in an Internet discussion forum for Latter-day Saint Single Adults, which I participate in.

You do NOT need to be a member of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints to participate as a volunteer with your computer.

Go to the Family Search Indexing web site, register, and download the software.

After downloading the software, install the program, reboot your computer, and then sign in at the web site, and begin transcribing your first batch of names onto the Church's official computerized records.

If you have difficulty deciphering an individual's handwritten script (which I did), you can verify correct spelling (or existence?) of a location by using Google or Wikipedia as a reference.

There is also a telephone number you can call, but only during normal business hours.

One very unusual problem I immediately encountered was a death certificate in Louisiana, for a female named "Ollie", whose spouse was "Eliza", and the cause of death was ovarian cancer!!!

I'll not proceed any further with that particular document until I can telephone the head office on Monday or Tuesday.

Nifty stuff, huh?

Come join with me in this very interesting and critically important historical effort!

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: