TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Movie Critique: "DEAR GOD"

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

I just now finished watching DEAR GOD, made in 1996, starring Greg Kinnear and Laurie Metcalf, on my cable televison's digital video recorder.

If I had known this was a Christmas movie, I wouldn't have watched it, because I believe in watching Christmas movies at Christmas time.

However, the film is surprisingly delightful, full of famous stars and wacky characters.

I did a whole lot of laughing!

Basically, the story is about a petty con artist who gets busted, and then, unintentionally starts doing good deeds for total strangers.

I ain't gonna tell you anything else, 'cause I don't want to spoil the fun for you.

But, it's sort of like the Hollywood classic, MIRACLE ON THIRTY-FOURTH STREET (the original version, not the remake), with a touch of PAY IT FORWARD mixed in.

One thing I liked was watching the credits rolling at the end of the show and seeing the word "bodacious" used to describe a television news anchorette.

Having grown up in a small North Carolina community, I reckon I'm just about the only guy on this planet who actually uses the word, "bodacious", in a sentence, or at least, I thought I was.

So, folks, this is a good, clean, wholesome, safe, positive, and uplifting family movie.

I guarantee lots of laughter, and maybe a few tears.

Gather 'round your young'uns, send out for some pizza, and snuggle up on the big comfy couch.

Your kitty cats and puppy dogs will wonder what's going on, but they're always reassured when they see their humans are happy.

Pass the popcorn, please.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: