TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Friday, December 23, 2005

My Christmas Greetings To You!!!


NOLLAIG CHRIDHEIL
AGUS
BLIADHNA MHATH UR!!!

(Pronounced, "Nol-Yeek Kree-yell ah-gus Blee-yah-nah Vah Oor", that is Scottish Gaelic for: "CHRISTMAS HEARTY AND YEAR WELL NEW!!!")

With that, you have my sincere wishes for a lovely traditional Christmas and New Year's holiday, along with a wee bit o' the Auld Lang Syne.

My room here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home is decorated with a two-foot artificial tree, having blinking colored lights, and I have a Nativity scene on my computer screen, along with a screensaver slide show of pictures and photographs from Christmases past.

I just now awoke from a sound sleep, with a bit of a song beginning in my head.

It's just an idea, but I'm working on it.

If I'm successful, it'll be a song about Scotland, a country I've never seen and know little about, and maybe I'll even pen some verses about Clan Henderson.

I don't yet know if the song will be in Gaelic (which I'm almost certain to get wrong!), English, or a combination of both English and Gaelic, such as the Scottish Christmas carol I composed last year.

The melody that's in my head is absurdly simple, so anybody can sing it, even a wee tyke.

In fact, I think it's going to be a children's song about Scotland.

Anyway, I'll kick it around and see if I can make it work.

If the idea does develop into a complete song, I'll post it in my blog, and share it with kinfolk and clansmen.

I'm requesting your assistance on something:

On the radio, I listen to WASH-FM 97.1, a local radio station which plays a variety of Christmas songs throughout December.

Their URL is:

http://washfm.com/main.html

You can listen to their broadcast on your computer.

I want to know the name of a song they play, which I love, but know nothing about.

It's little children (a boy's choir?) singing something about Christmas (I have trouble distinguishing the lyrics) to the classical music of Johann Pachelbel's "CANON".

Can any of you tell me, what is the name of that song, and who is singing it?

To quote the character, "Tiny Tim" Cratchit, in the classic novel, "A CHRISTMAS CAROL", by Charles Dickens:

"God bless us everyone!"

Thank you.


John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

"My personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: