TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Thursday, September 27, 2007

ATTENTION: Calling Scots For Parade

Comrades in Arms:

I was just reminded by a posting at the Phu Lam Signal Battalion web site of the big parade scheduled for 1100 Hours on Saturday 10 November 2007 here in Washington, D. C., in observance of the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the Viet Nam Memorial.

The opening ceremonies actually begin at 1000 Hours, and the parade starts immediately after that.

I noticed the Scottish American Military Society in the list of parade participants.

This looks like an excellent opportunity for us to don our kilts and plaids, complete with military decorations.

I wonder if public display of ceremonial swords, dirks, and sgian dubhs will be permitted?

Do you suppose the Scottish American Military Society will permit us to march as part of their contingent, even if we're not members?

Frankly, I'm divided in my loyalties, for I see that the 101st Airborne and 1st Signal Brigade, units I served with in Viet Nam, are also marching in the parade.

Hmmmm - - - how do I split myself into three (03) separate personalities so I can march in a parade with three (03) different military units all at the same time?

Sure, I can have "split personalities"!

After all, didn't the Soldiers' Home used to be called the "United States Military ASYLUM" way back during the War Between the States?

It's unfortunate, but apparently the administration here at the Soldiers' Home will NOT be providing transportation, reserved seating, or logistical support for residents who wish to participate in this historic event, nor did they acknowledge or respond to my suggestion that residents of the Soldiers Home march in the parade as a separate unit.

That's a rather sad reflection on the chronic anti-military mentality of the administrative staff here, whose illegal policies and programs continue jeopardizing the health and safety of the residents in the Soldiers' Home.

Since I'm left to my own devices, I'm guessing I'll probably take a taxi downtown, beginning early in the morning, and prepare to stay all day long.

I doubt I'll take my guitar, for in November, it'll probably be too cold to play it outdoors, and besides, where would I safely store it while marching in the parade?

So, what do you think, comrades?

Shall we plan on getting together and wearing our kilts?

Ah, the skirl of the war pipes!

Thank you.

John Robert "SAIGON" Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: