TRANSLATE

FWT Homepage Translator

Saturday, January 17, 2009

SOLDIERS' HOME UPDATE

Greetings and Salutations to All my Kith and Kin and All the Ships in Outer Space:

According to the Weatherbug program on my computer's desktop, the temperature is currently ZERO degrees Fahrenheit.

For quite a while now, I've been complaining that my room was too hot, even with both of my fans going full blast, the thermostat turned all the way down, and the heat switch turned off.

But, right now, I'm feeling the chill.

I've finally turned on my heat, and turned the thermostat up as high as it can go.

This building wasn't designed for extremely cold temperatures, so that's why I'm feeling the chill, when normally, I wouldn't.

The windows in this building are single pane, whereas, folks who live out West, where they are used to cold weather, customarily build their homes with double paned windows.

I wonder why the high mucky mucks who spend many millions of dollars to erect buildings in the District of Columbia don't bother to seek advice from someone like myself?

I'm much more fortunate than most of the other guys living here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home.

In spite of the cold, I have a good supply of groceries stockpiled, plus a refrigerator and a microwave oven.

So, I can keep warm by eating nice hot meals or snacking on spicy hot burritos, rice and weiners, peanut butter and honey sandwiches, pickled sausages, popcorn, and chocolate candy.

Yes, I'm fat, but I'm comfortable.

When I crawl in the sack, I have two very warm blankets on top of me.

When I'm lounging in my rocker recliner and watching television, I've got nice warm slippers on my feet and a favorite turtleneck shirt keeping me warm.

I wonder how others are dealing with this unusual cold weather?

A mortician once told me that whenever the weather suddenly changes, such as now, the funeral business has a sudden increase, because folks who are elderly and in frail health, frequently can not survive the shock of a drastic shift in temperature.

This exceedingly cold weather has me wondering about that Hollywood motion picture production, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW.

Do you remember that movie?

It was about how global warming actually leads to an ice age, because the melting of polar ice results in the Gulf Stream changing course.

It's based on the book, THE COMING GLOBAL SUPERSTORM, by Art Bell and Whitley Strieber.

Well, even as I'm typing this, it's now breakfast time down in our mess hall, and on Saturdays, they serve cream of wheat, which I just love.

But, as long as I still have some goodies inside my room, I ain't going near that mess hall.

That's because there's currently a serious threat from Norovirus infection and rhinovirus contagion.

We have that problem in our mess hall because the administrative staff permits residents who use walkers, wheel chairs, and BPVs to go through the regular chow line, instead of requiring them to sit at the table and be waited on.

Folks who are incapacitated aren't able to insure personal hygiene, so that's why there's such a problem with contagious infections.

Not only that, but they create a safety hazard by blocking the aisles with their BPVs, walkers, and wheel chairs.

In preparation for Inauguration Day, a regular United States Army combat unit is now camped here at the Soldiers' Home, acting as a quick reaction force in case of trouble downtown.

It should warm up over the weekend, so maybe I'll wander down there later on and visit with the soldiers.

For a couple of months now, there's been two (02) United States Army air defense radars permanently mounted on the roof of the Scott Building.

That's kind of interesting, walking across the campus and seeing those Army radars, one of which is always operational, while the other stands by in reserve.

Occasionally, we see one or two of the soldiers who operate the radars, usually when they come to our mess hall for chow, or shop in our PX, but generally, they keep out of sight.

I reckon they've got some shoulder fired "Stinger" anti-aircraft missiles handy, otherwise, why the radars, but that's just a guess.

I had planned to spend Inauguration Day hiding inside my room, but now, I think I'll probably wander over to our Amateur Radio Club, station AF3RH, to help monitor the radios, in case there's some sort of emergency.

Monday 19 January 2009 is a federal holiday, when I celebrate the birthday of General Robert Edward Lee, and it is also known as Confederate Heroes Day in Texas and Arkansas.

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, we honor another American hero, General Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson.

I wonder how my kinfolk are doing in this cold weather?

I count myself fortunate that I have kinfolk.

Imagine the loneliness of those who have no one to communicate with or share their life with?

Do you know of any homeless people stuck outside in this cold weather?

I remember when I lived on the streets that a public homeless shelter was one of the worst places to go.

Like any politically correct government operated entity, a homeless shelter makes certain that everyone is unarmed and helpless.

In such an environment, the law of the jungle takes over, as the strong prey upon the weak, and the many prey upon the few.

That's why disarming citizens is so immoral and contrary to the commandments of Jesus Christ.

"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

If you know somebody that's homeless and destitute (and I've personally "been there, done that"), they could sure use a hot meaty meal, if you're feeling charitable.

As I sit here typing, I'm hearing another ambulance being dispatched to the Soldiers' Home, to pick up somebody in this, the Sheridan, building.

I listen to the calls on my Kenwood TR-2500 hand held two meter FM band amateur radio.

Because I'm in a poor location, I'm unable to pick up many of the radio transmissions on the Security Office channel, but I do get some of them.

When I'm sleeping, I frequently dream that I'm once again a soldier in the United States Army.

But, when I wake up, the shocking realization hits me that I'm too old, and I'll never again wear that Army uniform, collect that Army pay, and serve my country risking unknown danger in some exotic distant foreign clime.

I can't begin to describe how utterly depressing that feels.

You know, I sure do complain a lot about deteriorating conditions here at the Ol' Soldiers' Home, and those complaints are legitimate.

But, with the economy collapsing, and millions of my fellow Americans losing their life savings, retirement pensions, homes, and businesses, and with so many millions of folks losing their jobs, I reckon I'm really quite well off.

After all, I've got my monthly disability pension from Social Security, my monthly compensation from the Veterans Administration, and I'm living in the Ol' Soldiers' Home, with a private fully furnished room.

I lack for nothing, and haven't a worry in the World, except for wondering about the future of our United States of America.

That certainly doesn't look good.

Quite frankly, once the economy has completely collapsed, and government agencies cease to function, I look for a bloodbath in our streets.

On the other hand, that could be a very positive thing, for it presents the Sons of Liberty with an opportunity to forcefully restore our republic, our divinely inspired Constitution of the United States, inalienable rights of the individual, Jesus Christ as the God of this land, and free enterprise.

That's just about everything I can think of right now.

I'll write again when I think there's something worthwhile to write about, and I ain't too depressed to make any effort.

Thank you.

John Robert Mallernee, KB3KWS
Official Bard of Clan Henderson
Armed Forces Retirement Home
Washington, D.C. 20011-8400

NOTE: "My unpopular and controversial personal opinions are independent of my Scottish clan."

No comments: